Monday, August 29, 2011

Inspirational Mondays

I've decided to institute several weekly columns on this blog. First off, every Monday I want to offer something which inspires me.

I often find photos inspiring me, but when I came across this photo essay of a decrepit Russian ekranoplane (an aircraft which achieves level flight near the surface of the earth, normally over water using the 'ground effect' to attain greater lift) I knew I had to share.

I love how strange it is. A type of vehicle most people have never even heard of, nevermind seen. The Russians had several different models of ekranoplanes flying during the cold war, but this is (at least to my knowledge) the biggest.

I love the textures of decay here. The rusted structures in the background, the decay on the wing which makes each rivet stand out. Just looking at this sort of thing makes me want to write a scene in this setting.




If you want to see the hi-rez versions and more pictures, the photos are from: http://igor113.livejournal.com/51213.html

1 comment:

Kimberlee Turley said...

Very cool, thanks for sharing!