Friday, December 17, 2010

Writing for different age groups.

My first novel, "Valkia's Gift", was a middle grade fantasy. I enjoyed writing it immensely and I found the editing and refining process extremely edifying. I wrote it partly for my son and partly because my wife and I are finding it harder and harder to come up with good, age appropriate books for him, so I knew there was room in the marketplace. I kept the language simple, the concepts and plot relatively non-violent and accessible for him. Now that I'm writing a Young Adult book I find myself stretching out as an author, filling up more space, taking my time and exploring ideas, using bigger words and feeling my way through adult situations. It feels good to stretch, I didn't realize how much I was limiting myself until today.

I just finished writing a fight sequence between Konrad and a group of well-heeled gentlemen with swords. Konrad wins naturally, he's always known he was different from other people, but for the first time realizes just how different. This is the sort of thing I love to read, or watch in a movie, Hong Kong choreographed flashy action, like The Matrix, or A Better Tomorrow. I'm finding that I love writing it as well.

I'd intended Konrad and this world I'm creating to be a one off, but now I'm thinking, maybe I should leave room for sequels. I hope when it's done you will enjoy reading it as much as I'm enjoying writing it.

No comments: